A Bethlehem Accident Attorney Explains What to Expect at an Initial Consultation
Oct 23, 2020 - Bethlehem Car Accident Lawyer
Many law firms offer a “free consultation.” It sounds good, as does anything with the word “free” in it. But what exactly is it, and how do you prepare for it? For answers to all of your questions, contact a Bethlehem accident attorney for help.
What Is a Free Consultation?
The primary purpose of a free consultation is for a client to get to know the law firm, and see if they will be a good fit for the client’s legal needs. Typically, the discussion will include:
- The nature and details of your legal issue,
- Your legal options,
- Whether and how the attorney can assist you,
- Your chances of success, and
- The amount of work that will likely be required to achieve your goals, and the cost associated with such work.
To the relief of most potential clients, initial consultations are confidential, and attorneys are bound to this confidentiality by ethical rules. However, although the law firm of Drake, Hileman & Davis keeps your information confidential as a matter of policy, if other people are present during your consultation, the confidentiality is not protected under the ethical rules. It’s best to have your consultation exclusive between you and your attorney.
How to Prepare for An Initial Consultation
- Write down all of your questions ahead of time so that you do not forget to ask them.
- Bring a laptop or even a notepad to take notes.
- Write down anything you feel your lawyer should know and be sure to tell them, no matter how small, insignificant, or even embarrassing some of these things may seem. Your lawyer can’t help you unless you tell the truth.
- Gather all documents that you think might be relevant, including any court paperwork you may have received, or any documents that support what you have to say.
- Make copies of everything that you plan to share with the lawyer and give the lawyer these copies at the beginning of the initial consultation. Your attorney will not want originals, and you don’t want to waste time waiting for a staff member to make copies. You can also scan the documents and email them ahead of time.
- Turn off all cell phones or other electronic devices just before your appointment in order to avoid interruptions.
Finally, remember to proceed as efficiently as possible. You need to leave feeling like you understand your legal situation, with all of your questions answered. Being prepared ahead of time is the best way to achieve this.
Contact a Bethlehem Accident Attorney at Drake, Hileman & Davis for Your Free Consultation
The initial consultation is a stress-free way for you to understand your legal issues. A Bethlehem accident attorney at Drake, Hileman & Davis understands this and will assist you in any way possible.
Contact us for further information and to schedule your free consultation.