Easton Premises Liability Lawyer
In Easton, Pennsylvania, landowners — and those who exercise substantial control or possession over a given parcel of property — have a duty to keep their property in a reasonably safe condition for all visitors and premises entrants. Failure to maintain the property in a reasonably safe condition, or to warn premises entrants of various hazards, may therefore expose the possessor of property to significant liability in the event that a visitor is injured due to the presence of the hazard at issue.
Premises liability claims can be challenging to litigate. Your attorney will have to investigate the scene of the accident and consult with experts to reconstruct the accident and accurately assess the hazard risks on the property. As such, it’s important that you work with a Pennsylvania injury attorney who has a long track record of success in litigating premises liability claims. Call (888) 777-7098 for a free consultation with an experienced Easton premises liability lawyer at Drake, Hileman & Davis, PC today.
Pursuant to Pennsylvania law, to succeed in your premises liability lawsuit, you will have to show that:
- There was a dangerous condition of the property (i.e., a hazard) that exposed you to an unreasonable risk of harm;
- The hazard was non-obvious;
- The defendant failed to warn you of the presence of the hazard at issue; and
- You suffered injuries as a result of such a hazard.
For example, suppose that you are climbing up a set of wooden stairs at an old Easton restaurant. As you’re climbing up, one of the steps dislodges and collapses, causing you to suffer serious injuries to your leg. You could arguably sue and recover against the defendant for failing to properly maintain the stairs so as to keep them in a reasonably safe condition for customers.
Obviousness is an issue in many cases, however. If the hazard is obvious, then Pennsylvania law will shield the defendant from liability — a visitor is expected to avoid obvious conditions, even without adequate warning. For non-obvious hazards, however, the defendant may avoid liability by simply putting out a sign warning visitors of the hazard.
Premises liability claims are quite diverse, as the nature of the hazard may vary substantially from case to case. Dangerous conditions of property may include:
- Liquid spills
- Uneven ground or flooring
- Piercing and cutting hazards (i.e., shattered glass, wood, etc.)
- Fire safety hazards
- Chemical exposure
- Negligent security
- Poor visibility on the property
- Stairs without guardrails
- And more
Seeking Financial Compensation for a Premises-Related Accident in Easton
Given the challenges involved with successfully pursuing a premises liability claim, it is important that you speak with a lawyer as soon as possible. At Drake, Hileman & Davis, PC, our Easton premises liability lawyer can explain everything you need to know, give you advice and take action immediately on your behalf.
When you have a premises liability claim, it is extremely important to make informed decisions. It is equally important to avoid mistakes that could prevent you from recovering just compensation. For example, if you have a premises liability claim:
- You Should Not Contact the Property or Business Owner. At this point, you should not attempt to contact the owner of the property or business where you got injured. You should let your lawyer handle all communications on your behalf.
- You Should Not Return to the Scene of the Accident. You also should not return to the scene of the accident. While it will be important to gather evidence, you should leave this task to your lawyer so he or she can ensure the evidence remains admissible in court.
- You Should Not Neglect Your Symptoms. Seeking prompt medical treatment is one of the keys to securing financial compensation for a premises-related accident. If you have symptoms, you should get them diagnosed right away.
- You Should Not Ignore Your Doctor’s Recommendations. Once you get a diagnosis, you should follow your doctor’s recommendations. If your doctor says you should avoid physical activity and stay home from work, you should rest as advised.
- You Should Not Assume You are Without Options. Even if your situation seems helpless, you are not without options. Pennsylvania law provides accident victims with clear legal rights, and an Easton premises liability lawyer can help you assert your rights effectively.
Seeking Compensation for an Accident at Someone Else’s House or Apartment
If you were injured at a friend’s, neighbor’s, or family member’s home, you may be hesitant to file a claim. This is understandable. But, your losses will begin to add up quickly, so it is important to make sure you obtain the financial compensation that is available to you. Homeowner’s insurance and renter’s insurance policies cover premises-related accidents, and recovering just compensation will most likely involve dealing directly with the insurance company.
Seeking Compensation for a Premises-Related Accident While Shopping
Icy sidewalks, snowy steps, and slippery isles are all common causes of slip-and-fall accidents while shopping in Easton. If you were injured while shopping, the owner of the store, shopping center, or mall may be liable for your injury-related losses.
Seeking Compensation for a Premises-Related Accident at Work
Many premises-related accidents happen at work. From office buildings to construction sites, hazards can (and do) exist in all types of work environments. If you slipped, tripped, or fell at work, you could have a premises liability claim against the property owner. You could also be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits and other forms of financial compensation. Our Easton premises liability lawyer can provide a comprehensive assessment of your legal rights, and we can pursue any and all claims you have available.
Reach Out to an Experienced Easton Premises Liability Lawyer
Premises liability claims vary significantly depending on the circumstances of the case. If you have been injured in a premises liability situation, Pennsylvania law may entitle you to compensation for your various injuries.
Drake, Hileman & Davis, PC is a multi-practice law firm that has represented clients in premises liability lawsuits for over thirty years. We are committed to personalized representation and work closely with our clients to develop an effective litigation strategy that is tailored to the particular facts of their case.
Interested in speaking with an experienced Easton premises liability lawyer? Contact us online or call (888) 777-7098 today to get connected today. During the initial free consultation, we will assess your claims and help you determine how to move forward.