The Top 10 Most Frequently Cited OSHA Standards Violations
Jan 4, 2017 - Personal Injury
While on the job, your safety and the safety of your co-workers should be placed before company profits. If you have been injured while working, contact us online or call Drake, Hileman & Davis, PC at 888-777-7098 for help.
A Look at the Most Frequently Cited Safety Violations
In 2016, the United States Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) released a report containing the top 10 most frequently cited OSHA standards violations for 2015:
- Fall protections (preventing employees from falling off overhead platforms, elevated work stations or into holes in the floor and walls).
- Hazard communication standards (information about the identities and hazards of the chemicals must be available and understandable to workers).
- Scaffolding (proper support for employees working at elevations).
- Respiratory protections (protecting workers against insufficient oxygen, harmful dusts, fogs, smokes, mists, gases, vapors and sprays).
- Control of hazardous energy (protecting workers from electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, chemical, thermal, or other sources in machines and equipment that can be hazardous).
- Powered industrial trucks (safe operation of vehicles designed to assist).
- Ladders (secure and proper use of ladders assisting workers in reaching elevated places).
- Electrical (preventing workers from contacting unsafe or open electrical currents).
- Machinery and Machine Guarding (safeguarding workers from any machine part, function or process that could cause harm).
- Electrical systems design (proper design of electrical systems to prevent unnecessary risk of harm to employees).
Companies must take steps to inspect their property for dangers to their workers. They must also act reasonably when attempting to complete a job. This means that the company should evaluate the work to be done and consider any risks posed to employees. No work environment can be made completely safe at all times for all employees. However, after risks have been identified, the company should take steps to mitigate those risks.
If you have been injured because your employer failed to comply with safety standards or if you were injured while visiting a business that failed to comply with safety standards, contact a Bethlehem accident attorney immediately.
The list above only discusses the top 10 most cited OSHA standards violations. Employers must take steps to protect their workers from all risks that may arise at any point during work. If you are being asked to work in unsafe conditions, contact our office, as well as OSHA, and do not put yourself at risk. If you have been terminated for refusing to work in unsafe conditions, contact one of the attorneys at Drake, Hileman & Davis, PC at 888-777-7098 for help.
Drake, Hileman & Davis, PC is Here to Help
The attorneys at Drake, Hileman & Davis, PC are here to help you get your life back together after a catastrophic injury. You and your loved ones should not have to suffer because your employer acted incompetently, negligently or recklessly.
We work hard to make sure that companies are held accountable for the harms they cause. Do not allow yourself to be forced to work in unsafe conditions and if you have been injured, contact us at 888-777-7098 for help.