Truckers and Unsecured Cargo
Feb 17, 2017 - Truck Accidents
Trucks, and all other drivers, have a responsibility to secure all cargo being transported on public roadways. Debris becomes extremely dangerous when falling from a vehicle, especially when the vehicle is traveling at a high rate of speed.
Why is Unsecured Cargo Such a Concern?
According to a report published by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, debris falling from vehicles causes significant damage on our roadways each year. The report found that:
- Loads of sand, gravel, soil, and building debris were cited as leading causes of damage.
- Loads being carried on short trips were of concern. This is because the time and effort required to properly secure a load was deemed less necessary for short trips.
- Incorrect loading of heavy goods, such as steel girders and pipes, was found to be especially dangerous for vehicle occupants, as a shift could catapult a load forward onto the cabin.
The AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety report also found that unsecured cargo caused significant property damage, personal injury and even deaths every year.
Contact us immediately if you or a loved one has been injured by unsecured debris that fell off a truck or other vehicle. We can assist you through the entire legal process to ensure that you get the compensation that you deserve.
What Should I Do if I Have Been Injured By Unsecured Cargo or Debris?
Seek immediate medical attention if you have been injured in a vehicle accident of any kind. A complete medical examination, conducted by a competent medical professional, is incredibly important in helping us ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
After you have sought medical attention for any injuries, consider doing the following:
- Take video or photos of the accident scene. Use a camera or cellphone to record the accident scene. These images can be used to help determine who is liable for the accident.
- Take notes of the conditions. As soon as possible after your accident, you will want write down what occurred. Try to detail road and weather conditions, as well as, vehicle descriptions. Be sure to include a narrative of your recollection of events. Remember to include: Who? What? When? Where? and How?
- Get witness information. Witnesses can be used to give a judge or jury another perspective of the events that led to your injuries. Try to get the contact information of all witnesses.
- Contact Drake, Hileman & Davis, PC. Contacting an experienced accident attorney is the next critical step. We have the experience to help you though the entire legal process and get you the compensation that you deserve.
Both the truck driver and the trucking company may be liable for your injuries. Personal injury laws are confusing and you should have an experienced legal team supporting you throughout the entire legal process. Companies should not be allowed to transport goods without taking the necessary precautions to protect other roadway users.
Why Should I Choose Drake, Hileman & Davis, PC?
When you hire a Bethlehem truck accident attorney at Drake, Hileman & Davis, PC you receive attorneys with over a combined century of legal experience, we have successfully represented thousands of clients. Our team of legal professionals are confident in their ability to win your case. We offer meticulous attention to detail and a strategic approach that is custom-tailored to help you win.
Contact us today at 888-777-7098 to see the Drake, Hileman & Davis, PC difference.