Accidents on Private Property

February 11, 2021

Most of us know what to do when we’re involved in a vehicle accident on the roadways. But what if the accident occurred on private property, such as a parking lot? After all, parking lot accidents are quite common, especially when there are area events. 

First of all, it is still necessary to contact the police, even though some officers aren’t too excited about creating a report when it comes to accidents on private property. This is because they generally do not have the right to issue citations or determine liability. 

They can, however, document the accident and provide you with a police report. Most insurance companies are unwilling to pay a claim for damages resulting from a private property accident without a police report. Furthermore, you should contact the owner of the property and inform them of the accident.

What Can I Do if I’m Involved in an Accident on Private Property?

If you have been involved in a vehicle accident on private property, your best option is to call an Allentown car accident lawyer at Drake, Hileman & Davis, even before contacting your insurance company. They can help you with any type of accident, including those that result in injuryserious injury, or even death

It is important to determine who is responsible for any type of vehicle accident. When an accident happens on private property, the property owner may share some liability. If negligence caused the accident, you may have a personal injury claim. 

For example, if an accident happens in a parking lot, and the accident was caused by defects on the property such as lanes and spaces that are too narrow, faded lane lines, or defective signage and blinds spots, the fault may be attributed to the property owner, at least in part. These types of cases will necessarily involve the property owner.

In some cases, the property owner may be helpful in providing security footage, structural information, incident reports, and information regarding other similar accidents. However, if the property owner takes a defensive stance, they may withhold this type of information.

If the accident occurs in a parking lot and the other party simply leaves the scene, the issues become even more complicated. You can potentially recover through uninsured motorist coverage, and the parking lot owner may also have some premise liability.

Contact an Allentown Car Accident Lawyer if You’re Involved in an Accident on Private Property

Clearly, each case is different, and there is a wide variety of insurance and legal claims that are potentially available. The experienced Allentown car accident lawyers at Drake, Hileman & Davis understand the law and the insurance rules applicable to accidents that occur on private property. They can help you explore all of your options and help you understand what relief you may be entitled to. They can also represent you to your insurance company and see you through the entire process of filing your claims.

Contact us for further information and to schedule your free consultation.