Mar 27, 2017 - Personal Injury
Manufactures and distributors of dangerous or defective toys may be responsible for the injuries those toys cause. Those profiting from the sale of a toy must place the safety of a child first. Contact a Bethlehem accident attorney at Drake, Hileman & Davis, PC today at 888-777-7098 if your child has been injured while using a dangerous or defective toy.
Recent Toy Recalls and Toy Recall Statistics
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) keeps a list of toys that are undergoing a recall due to their dangerous or defective nature. Here are some of the most recent recalls:
- Moose Toys Recalls Toy Frogs. These toys were found to be projectile hazards and leaked toxic chemicals. The defective toys resulted in at least two injuries severe enough to require an emergency room and doctor’s office visits for eye issues.
- Chicken Toys Recalled by Bingo Deals. These toys were found to be a choking hazard for children.
- Alex Toys Recalls Infant Building Play. These toys – which were marketed for infants – have been recalled because they present a serious risk of chocking to infants.
CPSC also complies reports on toy-related injuries and deaths. For example, during the 2015 year, the CPSC received 11 reports of toy-related deaths among children younger than 15 years old (10 of the 11 victims were younger than 12 years of age). Riding toys were associated with 45 percent of the reported deaths (all of the riding toy deaths were due to motor vehicle involvement).
The CPSC also found that toys contributed to significant numbers of hospital visits by children.
- In 2015, there were an estimated 254,200 toy-related injuries
- A large portion of the emergency department-treated injuries were classified as lacerations, contusions, or abrasions (45% of which were to head and face area).
- Males accounted for the majority of toy-related injuries.
- Of the toy-related emergency department-treated injuries an estimated approximately 73% percent happened to children younger than 15 years of age.
- For children 12 years of age or younger nonmotorized scooters were the toys associated with the most injuries.
Parents should always be diligent about toys their children are allowed to play with. Children should not be left unsupervised and toys should always be used in the manner they were intended.
What Should I Do if My Child Has Been Injured by a Toy?
Seek immediate medical attention if your child has been injured by a toy. Keep notes and accurate medical records related to the injury. Having a complete and competent medical evaluation will help us get your family the compensation it deserves.
If possible, locate and keep the toy that caused the injury. Do your best to ensure the toy remains in the same condition it was in at the time it injured the child. This will give us the best opportunity to show exactly how the toy caused the injury. Furthermore, take pictures or video of the toy.
Try to locate any receipts you may have for the toy. We will work to discover who distributed and manufactured the toy. Those making a profit off dangerous or defective toys should be held accountable for any injuries those toys cause.
Who is Liable for the Injuries to My Child?
Toys are often manufactured and distributed by multiple companies. If an inherently dangerous toy is placed on the market (like fireworks) appropriate warnings must be included. If a toy is placed on the market that should be safe (like a doll) but that was defectively designed or manufactured, therefore making the toy dangerous, the manufacture and distributor must take steps to either make the toy safe or to get the toys away from children.
There are many different companies that may be liable for the injuries your child has suffered. Helping to determine who is liable is our job. Contact us today to discuss the injuries your child has suffered.
Contacting Drake, Hileman & Davis, PC
Please contact a Bethlehem accident attorney at Drake, Hileman & Davis, PC today at 888-777-7098 if your child has been injured while using a dangerous or defective toy. We have the experience and resources to ensure that your family gets the legal support that is deserved.