Common Wrongful Death Cases Handled By Our Stroudsburg Wrongful Death Lawyer
Jan 6, 2021 - Wrongful Death
A wrongful death, which can be defined as a death caused by another party’s negligence or intentional acts, can occur in many circumstances. The statistics are stunning: every year, over 90,000 deaths occur due to medical malpractice alone, not including the many other causes of wrongful death.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there were 19,656 slip-and-fall fatalities in 2005. The CDC’s Institute of Medicine (IOM) also reports that an estimated 98,000 Americans die each year due to preventable medical errors, as one in five medical errors are potentially serious or fatal. The CDC reports that there were 19,656 slip-and-fall fatalities in 2005, and in 2006, there were 5,840 fatalities resulting from workplace accidents.
If you have a loved one who has passed due to someone else’s negligent or purposeful behavior, contact a Stroudsburg wrongful death lawyer for help.
Common Accidents That Lead to Wrongful Deaths
Wrongful death can arise from a wide variety of causes. Some of the most common causes include:
- Car Accidents. Each year, hundreds of thousands of lives are lost due to car accidents, and many more face a long and difficult recovery. After fatal car accidents, loved ones are left to struggle with medical bills and/or reduced household incomes, even as they are making funeral arrangements and grieving.
- Truck Accidents. Truck accidents are different from car accidents in that the size and weight of the vehicle in question, for example, semi-trucks, are far greater than those of an automobile. When a truck hits a smaller vehicle, passengers in the smaller vehicles are much more likely to suffer injuries or deaths.
- Motorcycle Accidents. Typically, these types of accidents are caused when drivers fail to take notice of motorcycle drivers. They are similar to truck accidents in that motorcycle riders are far more vulnerable to serious injuries or death.
- Medical Malpractice. Fortunately, most doctors and nurses are very good at their jobs. However, there are instances when being good isn’t enough and accidents occur. When doctors and nurses cut corners or fail to follow proper procedures, or are simply fatigued, people get killed.
- Defective Products. Most manufacturers work hard to ensure the products they sell are safe for the public to use. However, when they do fail to produce safe products, people die and they should be held responsible.
- Pedestrian Accidents. Accidents involving pedestrians are more likely to cause fatalities because pedestrians have no protection. Driver negligence is the most common cause of these accidents. However, the local government may be liable in situations where the driver couldn’t see the pedestrian due to a lack of visible pedestrian walkways.
- Workplace Accidents. Employers have a responsibility to keep their employees safe while working, as mandated and enforced by OSHA. When workplace accidents happen and people are killed, there may indeed be a wrongful death claim.
Contact a Stroudsburg Wrongful Death Lawyer at Drake, Hileman & Davis for More Information
A loved one’s death is always difficult, but it is worse when the death was preventable but for someone else’s negligence or intentional bad act. Let a Stroudsburg wrongful death lawyer at Drake, Hileman & Davis help. They will treat you with compassion and empathy and treat your wrongful death claim with determined skill and efficiency.
Contact us for further information and to schedule your free consultation.